Things to Do in Upcountry Maui
Upcountry Maui Sights, Restaurants, Gardens, Farms, Towns
Upcountry is the part of Maui on the western slopes of Haleakala (the side of the volcano that faces Maui’s central valley). Upcountry includes many of Maui’s farms, ranches, and gardens, as well as wonderful little towns to explore and restaurants to enjoy.
Because of its elevation, it is a little cooler in Upcountry than at the beach. It takes about an hour to drive to Upcountry from the resort areas of Kaanapali or Wailea. You have to first drive to the city of Kahului (where the airport is) and then continue from there to Highway 37, the Haleakala Highway, which leads up the slope of Haleakala.
The links in the list below will take you to more information about each of the things to see and do in Upcountry Maui.
- Restaurant Marlow — Already known as the best pizza on Maui, I make special trips Upcountry just for their lunch. Dinner is great too!
- Maui Alpaca Farm — For those with kids, an Instagram account, or just a lover of animals, this is a top tour.
- Lavender Farm — Tour and learn about varieties of lavender, beautiful views of Maui’s central valley
- Kula Botanical Garden — Wide variety of Maui plants and flowers
- Makawao — Old cowboy town with interesting shops, galleries, and restaurants
- Maui Wine — Winetasting and tours
- Sherri Reeve Gallery — Sherri’s unique pastels in all forms
- Maui Hands — Works by many Maui artists
- Surfing Goat Dairy — Kids love the goats, adults love the goat cheese
- Hui Noeau Visual Arts Center — Maui’s art education studios
- Sun Yat Sen Park — Memorial statues and great views
- Sacred Garden — Greenhouse garden and plant sales
- Kula Country Farms — Farmers market with beautiful views of central Maui
- Ocean Vodka Farm — See their factory and farm
- Hot Island Glass — See glassblowing and glass art in a small shop
- Haliimaile General Store — One of Maui’s top fine-dining restaurants for lunch or dinner
- Casanova — Excellent Italian restaurant
- Ulupalakua Ranch Store — Good lunch across the street from the winery
- La Provence — Small outdoor restaurant and bakery with great views
- Grandma’s Coffee House — Maui-grown coffee and pastries, plus sandwiches
- Komoda Bakery — Bakery in Makawao famous for sweet pastries
- Kula Lodge — Busy restaurant on your way up or down Haleakala, with great view of Maui’s central valley
- Makai Glass — See glassblowing and glass art from an overview mezzanine
- Farmers Markets — Fresh produce directly from the farmers
Click for more things to do on Maui.
Photos from Some of the Above Upcountry Sights
See the page of Things To Do In Maui for Haleakala, Lahaina, Lavender farm, aquarium, luaus, whale watching, snorkeling, tours, helicopters, horseback riding, dinner cruises, parasailing, fishing, biking, golf, beaches, kids and family fun, and more.