Home of Missionary Reverend Dwight Baldwin
Missionaries came from the United States to the Hawaiian islands in the 1800’s to educate the Hawaiian people and introduce them to Christianity. A physician and minister named Dwight Baldwin, and his wife Charlotte, were two of those missionaries who came from Connecticut. In 1835, they moved into a house in Lahaina, constructed of stone, coral and timber. That house still stands today, with interior and exterior showing the way it looked when the Baldwins lived there. It is called the Baldwin Home Museum, at 696 Front Street, in Lahaina. Phone 808-661-3262.
Baldwin and other missionaries taught the Hawaiians to read and write in both English and Hawaiian. They established the high school above Lahaina, that still exists as Lahainaluna High School. Descendants of the Baldwins went on to develop the irrigation system and sugar cane industry on Maui.
The Baldwin house is presently maintained and run by the Lahaina Restoration Foundation. Small entrance fee. See photos below. Or click for more things to do on Maui.
Baldwin Home Museum photos