We are going to stay in a condo, not a hotel, on our next trip to Maui. I have heard that some units in the condo have old and outdated furnishings, but other rooms in the same condo building have been upgraded with new furniture and appliances and decor. How can I make sure I get one of the newer-looking updated rooms?
You cannot be sure what room you will get at any condo before you arrive. But here are my tips for getting a good room:
1. Don’t go at crowded times (Christmas week or any holiday) when condos are full so there are less choices of which rooms are available.
2. Book through a big rental agency like Aston, not through an individual owner. That way, if you don’t like the room when you get there and see it, you can ask them to switch you to one of the many other rooms that they manage.
3. When you arrive at the check-in desk, ask them to put you in a room that has been remodeled or updated within the past couple years, and not in an older outdated room.
4. As soon as you get into your assigned room, if you do not like it, do not unpack. Immediately go back to the check-in desk, and tell them what you do not like about the room, and ask them to show you what other rooms are available for you to switch to. Always be calm and polite in your request.
5. If no better room is available immediately, ask whether you can move to a nicer room tomorrow or the next day.